We were all still processing the news of the horrific gun violence at a dance studio in Monterey Park, Calif., that killed 11 people, when news broke of another mass shooting in the Golden State. Authorities have deemed the shooting in Half Moon Bay that killed seven as “workplace violence” that stemmed from “workplace conflict.”
Whether it’s a disgruntled employee or customer, or a domestic issue that follows an employee to work, workplaces are at a distinct risk of violent incidents.
How you prepare yourself to protect the lives of those around you? Are there risk factors that might give you an indication of when someone will become violent? What can you do to help prevent a violent tragedy occurring where you work?
This topic is too important to ignore. FELTG Instructor Shana Palmieri, LCSW will present Assessing Risk and Taking Action: Threats and Violence in the Federal Workplace. Ms. Palmieri, who specializes in mental health and handled the aftermath of the Navy Yard shooting in 2013, will cover:
- Warning signs that violence may be imminent, and dynamic risk and protective factors for workplace targeted violence
- Creating an internal threat assessment investigation
- Equipping Threat Management Teams to respond to threats or violent acts
- Understanding the personality traits and cognitive issues that contribute to violent behavior – and those that don’t
- Domestic or intimate partner violence and the federal workplace
This training event will include time for Q & A on these topics.
Date and Time
Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 1:00 – 3:00 pm eastern.
Download Individual Registration Form
- Early Bird Tuition: $295 (payment required by February 6)
- Standard Tuition: $325 (payments made February 7 or later)
- Rates per registrant.
- Want to register a group? Group discounts for 10 or more attendees are available until February 6. Contact FELTG.
- Can I attend Virtual Training from my government computer?
- FELTG uses Zoom for this Virtual Training Institute event. Many government computers and systems allow Zoom access. If for some reason your firewall will not allow access, you’re welcome to use your personal email address to register, and to attend the sessions from your personal device. You may also attend the training event as an audio training, by dialing in over the phone and following along with the materials independently.
- Can I earn CLE credits for this class?
- CLE applications are the responsibility of each attendee; FELTG does not apply for the credits on behalf of attendees. If you are seeking CLE credit, attendees may use the materials provided by FELTG in submission to your state bar. Attendees may also request a certificate of completion which will contain the number of training hours attended.
- What if I want to attend a session but have a schedule conflict?
- FELTG also plans to offer this live event periodically, so check our calendar for upcoming dates.
- Can I share my access link with co-workers?
- No. Registration for this event is per individual, and access links may not be shared. Each link may only be used by one person.
- Can I register a teleworker?
- This event is individual registration, so the cost is the same whether the person is teleworking or in an agency facility.
- How do I receive a group rate discount?
- Group rates are available for agencies registering 10 or more individuals. Group discounts are available until February 6.
Cancellation and No-show Policy for Registered Participants: Cancellations made after the cancel date on the registration form will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses. Pre-paid training using the “Pay Now” option will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses. No-shows will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses.