Federal employees enjoy a wide variety of leave-related benefits. However, many of us would never use the words “enjoy” and “leave” so closely together. Whether you’re an HR professional, employee relations practitioner, EEO specialist, supervisor, or agency counsel, you have undoubtedly faced a leave-related challenge. FELTG’s Absence, Leave Abuse & Medical Issues Week will give you the critical foundation you need to address the most complex areas of federal employment law.
Our speakers will discuss sick leave, annual leave, leave without pay, absence without leave, and FMLA. Then they will tackle the most current, relevant topics, such as medical issues and unacceptable performance, leave and reasonable accommodation, medical documentation, medical exams, and, of course, leave abuse.
You’re going to learn an awful lot about “leave” and you’re going to “enjoy” the training.
The program runs 9:00 – 4:00 each day and is pre-approved for 29 CLE credits in Virginia. It is also approved for 29 HRCI general recertification credits.
Monday – Leave Use Overview
Course Topics: Types of leave and leave entitlements; proper leave administration; discretionary leave scenarios; leave stacking; understanding when you can say no to a leave request; Administrative Leave Act of 2016 changes.
Tuesday – FMLA Law & Policy
Course Topics: Federal sector FMLA basics, including new provisions on paid family leave, employee notice issues, serious health condition developments, medical certification issues, managing intermittent FMLA leave; discipline and performance issues when FMLA is involved; last chance agreements with FMLA.
Wednesday – Leave-Related Discipline & Medical Removals
Course Topics: The five elements of discipline; leave-related misconduct; documentation necessary to discipline an employee for leave-related misconduct and leave abuse; AWOL charges; excessive absence removals; medical inability to perform removals.
Thursday – Understanding Reasonable Accommodation: Entitlements and Processes
Course Topics: The ADA Amendments Act; the reasonable accommodation process; the “regarded as” provision of the ADA; telework and leave as reasonable accommodation; flexible work schedules and alternative work locations; religious accommodation.
Friday – Medical Documentation, Medical Requests and Record Confidentiality
Course Topics: How the ADAAA and GINA impact the collection of medical information; pre- and post-employment medical exams and inquiries; conditional employment offers; medical documentation requests; direct threat; conflicting regulations and contra court decisions.
Most people attend the full training week, but you may opt out of any days you don’t plan to attend.
Early Bird Tuition (register by July 23):
- 5 days = $2375
- 4 days = $1995
- 3 days = $1575
- 2 days = $1100
- 1 day = $575
Standard Tuition (register July 24-August 13):
- 5 days = $2475
- 4 days = $2095
- 3 days = $1675
- 2 days = $1200
- 1 day = $675
Seminar registration includes a printed copy of the materials, shipped via USPS. In order to receive materials by the training date, please register by July 23 and provide a shipping address. Registrations received after July 23 will also receive printed materials, but materials are not guaranteed to arrive by the training date.
- Can I attend Virtual Training from my government computer?
- FELTG uses Webex to broadcast this Virtual Training Institute event. Many government computers and systems allow Webex access. If for some reason your firewall will not allow access, you’re welcome to use your personal email address to register, and to attend the sessions from your personal device.
- Can I earn CLE credits for this class?
- This program is pre-approved for CLE credits in Virginia. CLE applications are the responsibility of each attendee; FELTG does not apply for the credits on behalf of attendees. If you are seeking CLE credit, attendees may use the materials provided by FELTG in submission to your state bar. Attendees may also request a certificate of completion which will contain the number of training hours attended.
- Can I share my access link with co-workers?
- No. Registration for this event is per individual, and access links may not be shared. Each link may only be used by one person. No split registrations.
- Can I register a teleworker?
- This event is individual registration, so the cost is the same whether the person is teleworking or in an agency facility.
- How do I receive a group rate discount?
- Group rates are available for agencies registering 10 or more individuals for the full event. Group discounts are available through July 23.
Cancellation and No-show Policy for Registered Participants: Cancellations made after the cancel date on the registration form will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses. Pre-paid training using the “Pay Now” option will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses. No-shows will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses.