FELTG’s flagship course UnCivil Servant empowers federal supervisors and advisers to confidently handle the challenges that come with supervising in the federal workplace. We hope that you never have to fire an employee. But it’s important that you have the tools to effectively address poor performance and misconduct, should the need arise.
Over the course of two half-days, UnCivil Servant identifies misconceptions about performance and misconduct-based actions and provides you with simple step-by-step guidance for taking swift, appropriate and legally defensible actions. The program also covers the very latest with Executive Order 13839, plus OPM regulations on performance and conduct.
Join FELTG for this special event, from wherever you are working – agency office or home. The program will be presented live, and you’ll have time to ask questions and get answers in real time. Note: This course fulfills OPM’s mandatory training requirements for new supervisors found at 5 CFR 412.202(b).
Registrants for both days will also receive a copy of the textbook UnCivil Servant: Holding Federal Employees Accountable for Performance and Conduct, 5th Ed., by William Wiley and Deborah Hopkins.
This program runs from 12:30 pm – 4:00 pm eastern each day, with a 30-minute break from 2:00 – 2:30 eastern.
Who Should Attend
Federal supervisors and managers; attorneys; Labor and Employee Relations Specialists; EEO specialists; union representatives.
Wednesday, September 7
Accountability for Conduct and Performance, Part I: Accountability and supervisory authority; discipline and misconduct theory and practice; the five elements of discipline; off-duty misconduct; penalty defense and due process.
Thursday, September 8
Accountability for Conduct and Performance, Part II: Discipline procedures and appeals; disciplinary documents; defining unacceptable performance; dealing with poor performers; performance-based removal procedures.
- Early Bird Tuition: $390 per session, $720 for both sessions (register by August 23).
- Standard Tuition: $420 per session, $750 for both sessions (register August 24-September 8).
- Rates per registrant. No split registrations permitted.
- Want to register a group? Contact FELTG.
- Can I attend Virtual Training from my government computer?
- FELTG uses Zoom for its Virtual Training Institute events. Many government computers and systems allow Zoom access. If for some reason your firewall will not allow access, you’re welcome to use your personal email address to register, and to attend the sessions from your personal device.
- What if I want to attend a session but have a schedule conflict?
- FELTG also plans to offer this live event periodically, so check our calendar for upcoming dates.
- Can I share my access link with co-workers?
- No. Registration for this event is per individual, and access links may not be shared. Each link may only be used by one person.
- Can I register a teleworker?
- This event is individual registration, so the cost is the same whether the person is teleworking or in an agency facility.
- How do I receive a group rate discount?
- If an agency wishes to register 10 or more attendees for the full event, a group discount will be applied if all registrations are received and paid for together. Group discount deadline is August 23.
- Can I earn CLE credits for this class?
- CLE applications are the responsibility of each attendee; FELTG does not apply for the credits on behalf of attendees. If you are seeking CLE credit, attendees may use the materials provided by FELTG in submission to your state bar. Attendees may also request a certificate of completion which will contain the number of training hours attended.
Seminar registration includes a PDF copy of the program materials, plus a hard copy of the textbook UnCivil Servant: Holding Employees Accountable for Performance and Conduct, 5th ed., by Wiley and Hopkins. In order to receive the textbook by the training date, please register by August 23 and provide a shipping address. Registrations received after January 25 will also receive a textbook, but materials are not guaranteed to arrive by the training date.