If you’ve been in the business for more than a few days, you know the importance of drafting legally-sufficient disciplinary charges, and making a reasonable penalty determination. Yet many agencies still lose cases because of poorly drafted charges. This session will cover the art and science behind drafting disciplinary charges, including the types of charges, parts of a charge, how charges are interpreted, and alternative charges. From there the discussion will cover the factors required to determine an appropriate penalty for employee misconduct. Plus, with a quorum now restored, we’ll look at how the brand-new MSPB views charges and penalties by deconstructing the first Board cases we’ve gotten in over five years.
Attendees will learn how to:
- Discuss the MSPB and Federal Circuit lead cases involving penalty determination.
- Defend the penalty using the Douglas Factors – or related penalty defense factors.
- Draft effective proposal and decision letters.
- Early Bird Tuition: $270 per site (payment required by April 20)
- Standard Tuition: $295 per site (payments made April 21 or later)
Teleworkers may be added to a main site registration for $50 per teleworker, on a space-available basis.
Cancellation and No-show Policy for Registered Participants: Cancellations made after the cancel date on the registration form will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses. Pre-paid training using the “Pay Now” option will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses. No-shows will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses.