To paraphrase Peter Drucker’s quote about leadership, “Communication is how we get things done through others.” No matter the mode, our word choice, tone, gestures, images, and timing convey information. Effective communication has the power to persuade, inspire, educate, and praise. When communication goes off track, it can alienate, insult, anger, and frighten. Relationships with our Federal employees can either be enhanced or damaged by the way we communicate.
In this class, FELTG Instructor Susan Schneider will share communication skills from her experiences in Federal agencies, combined with findings from recent research and a study of best practices. She’ll address communicating in teams or one-on-one, face-to-face or virtual, audio or written, and how strategies apply to management interactions. Realistic scenarios will emphasize the importance of truly listening and seeking to understand discussions and exchanges in the Federal workplace.
- Identify your own and others’ communication styles.
- Modify your style based on the purpose of the interactions.
- Adapt your communication style for different generations.
- Identify conflict types and use conflict management skills.
- Interact productively with difficult personalities.
- Use techniques for managing unplanned interactions.
Date and Time
September 12, 2023, 1-3 pm ET
- Early Bird Tuition: $295 (register by August 25)
- Standard Tuition: $325 (register after August 25)
- Rates per registrant.
- Can I attend Virtual Training from my government computer?
- FELTG uses Zoom to broadcast this Virtual Training Institute event. Many government computers and systems allow Zoom access. If for some reason your firewall will not allow access, you’re welcome to use your personal email address to register, and to attend the sessions from your personal device.
- Can I share my access link with co-workers?
- No. Registration for this event is per individual, and access links may not be shared. Each link may only be used by one person.
- Can I register a teleworker?
- This event is individual registration, so the cost is the same whether the person is teleworking or in an agency facility.
- How do I receive a group rate discount?
- Group rates are available for agencies registering 10 or more individuals. Group discounts are available through August 25.
Cancellation and No-show Policy for Registered Participants: Cancellations made after the cancel date on the registration form will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses. Pre-paid training using the “Pay Now” option will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses. No-shows will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses.