It’s been over 40 years since we were all introduced to those 12 factors identified in the Merit System Protection Board’s landmark Douglas v. VA decision, the most cited case in Federal employment law. But you don’t have to go back to the Reagan Administration to find examples of agencies’ misunderstanding and/or misapplying those factors.
Just look at a any recent batch of MSPB decisions and you’ll find continued confusion about how to appropriately determine a penalty – and clarity from the Board about their view on Douglas.
Instructor and attorney Ann Boehm will share recent case law, highlighting how agencies correctly use the Douglas factors and also how they have been misapplied. She will answer all your Douglas questions, such as: Do the factors go in the proposal or the decision? What do OPM’s new regs say about the Douglas factors? What’s the best way to prevent penalty mitigation?
Attendees will learn how to:
- Understand the Douglas factors principles
- Explain when and how to use each factor
- Avoid the too-common Douglas mistakes that sink your case
Date and Time
Tuesday, April 23, 2024, 1:00 – 2:00pm ET
- Early Bird Tuition (register by April 8): $145
- Standard Tuition (register April 9-23): $195
- Rates per registrant.
- Want to register a group? Group discounts for 10 or more attendees are available through April 8. Contact FELTG.
- Can I attend Virtual Training from my government computer?
- FELTG uses Zoom to broadcast this Virtual Training Institute event. Many government computers and systems allow Zoom access. If for some reason your firewall will not allow access, you’re welcome to use your personal email address to register, and to attend the sessions from your personal device.
- Can I earn CLE credits for this class?
- CLE applications are the responsibility of each attendee; FELTG does not apply for the credits on behalf of attendees. If you are seeking CLE credit, attendees may use the materials provided by FELTG in submission to your state bar. Attendees may also request a certificate of completion which will contain the number of training hours attended.
- Can I share my access link with co-workers?
- No. Registration for this event is per individual, and access links may not be shared. Each link may only be used by one person.
- Can I register a teleworker?
- This event is individual registration, so the cost is the same whether the person is teleworking or in an agency facility.
- How do I receive a group rate discount?
- Group rates are available for agencies registering 10 or more individuals. Group discounts are available through April 8.
Cancellation and No-show Policy for Registered Participants: Cancellations made after the cancel date on the registration form will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses. Pre-paid training using the “Pay Now” option will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses. No-shows will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses.