Employee relations professionals: FELTG’s three-day Advanced ER virtual training event gives you the kind of interactive foundational-based, training necessary to handle the most challenging and complicated situations.
Attendees will receive in-depth training on topics including leave, performance, misconduct, and more. Have an employee who is absent so often she is unable to perform her job? Wondering how Paid Parental Leave works with FMLA? When is the last time you looked at critical elements? FELTG Senior Instructor Barbara Haga will give you the tools you need to handle any employee relations issue that comes your way, as well as guidance on ensuring that some of those challenges never arise.
This training is approved for 18 HRCI general recertification credits.
Tuesday, May 9
Leave and Attendance: Administering leave, with particular emphasis on sick leave, LWOP, and FMLA. Detailed review of sick leave provisions including authorized purposes for use of sick leave, limitations on use of sick leave for family care and bereavement, eligibility to use leave for care, notice requirements, acceptable documentation. Management actions to control use of leave and abuse of sick leave. Detailed review of FMLA provisions including eligibility to invoke FMLA, entitlement, coverage of family members, administration and notice requirements. Acceptable medical documentation under FMLA, definition of serious health condition. Substitution of paid leave, including Paid Parental Leave. Discipline tied to FMLA. LWOP – when LWOP is mandatory, limits on granting LWOP, employee status while on extended LWOP. Other topics –issues related to annual leave and leave transfer, other leave entitlements.
Wednesday, May 10
Performance Management: Managing performance from system establishment to conducting annual appraisals to taking actions linked to performance. GEAR initiative and other efforts focused on modifying Federal performance management system. Requirements for performance plans, including design of agency systems, rating schemes, and procedures for conducting appraisals. Linkage between appraisal and other personnel management decisions, including reduction-in-force and within-grade increases. Writing effective and measurable performance criteria that will withstand third-party review, including a workshop where participants will do an in-depth review of performance plans. Requirements for successful performance-based actions – from drafting a PIP notice that will withstand scrutiny to conducting a bona fide PIP to ensuring that due process is met in effecting an action on unacceptable performance.
Thursday, May 11
Misconduct and Other Related Issues: Implementation of a successful disciplinary program – delegation of authority, role of advisors, warnings and cautions, use of administrative leave. Nexus. Dealing with comparators in determining a penalty. Involuntary actions – resignations and retirements. Ordering and Offering medical examinations. Specific disciplinary situations: handling situations when an employee is unable to perform including excessive leave, disability retirement, separation disability; conduct unbecoming; misuse and technology-related misconduct; failure to meet conditions of employment.
Date and Time
May 9-11, 2023
9:30 am – 4:30 pm ET each day
Download Individual Registration Form
Early Bird Tuition (register by April 24):
- 3 days = $1425
- 2 days = $995
- 1 day = $530
Standard Tuition (register April 25 or later):
- 3 days = $1525
- 2 days = $1095
- 1 day = $630
Seminar registration includes a printed copy of the materials. In order to have the best chance to receive materials by the training date, please register by April 24 and provide a shipping address, and your materials will be sent via USPS Priority Mail. Registrations received after April 24 will also receive printed materials, which will be shipped Priority Mail when registration is received; they may not arrive in time for the training.
- Can I attend Virtual Training from my government computer?
- FELTG uses Zoom for this Virtual Training Institute event. Many government computers and systems allow Zoom access. If for some reason your firewall will not allow access, you’re welcome to use your personal email address to register, and to attend the sessions from your personal device.
- Can I earn CLE credits for this class?
- CLE applications are the responsibility of each attendee; FELTG does not apply for the credits on behalf of attendees. If you are seeking CLE credit, attendees may use the materials provided by FELTG in submission to your state bar. Attendees may also request a certificate of completion which will contain the number of training hours attended.
- Can I share my access link with co-workers?
- No. Registration for this event is per individual, and access links may not be shared. Each link may only be used by one person.
- Can I register a teleworker?
- This event is individual registration, so the cost is the same whether the person is teleworking or in an agency facility.
- How do I receive a group rate discount?
- Group rates are available for agencies registering 10 or more individuals for the full event. Group discounts are available through April 24, 2023.