If you’ve been in the business for more than a few days, you know the importance of drafting legally sufficient disciplinary charges and making a defensible penalty determination. Yet many agencies still lose cases because of poorly drafted charges, or inadequate Douglas factor penalty assessments.
FELTG President Deborah J. Hopkins will cover the art and science behind drafting disciplinary charges, including the types of charges, parts of a charge, how charges are interpreted, and alternative charges. From there the discussion will cover the factors required to determine an appropriate penalty for employee misconduct. We’ll also look at how the current MSPB views charges and penalties by deconstructing recent cases they’ve issued.
Attendees will learn how to:
- Determine what charges to use based on the circumstances.
- Defend the reasonableness of the penalty using the Douglas Factors.
- Increase their chances of penalty deference based on this Board’s view on penalty assessment.
This session is a part of FELTG’s weeklong virtual training event Federal Workplace 2023: Accountability, Challenges, and Trends. Visit here for more information on the full event.
Date and Time
August 1, 2023, 1 – 4:30 pm ET
Download Individual Registration Form
- Early Bird Tuition (register by July 6): $395
- Standard Tuition (register July 7 or later): $495
- Rates per registrant.
- Want to register a group? Group discounts are available through July 6. Contact FELTG. REGISTER NOW.
- Can I attend Virtual Training from my government computer?
- FELTG uses Zoom to broadcast this Virtual Training Institute event. Many government computers and systems allow Zoom access. If for some reason your firewall will not allow access, you’re welcome to use your personal email address to register, and to attend the sessions from your personal device.
- Can I earn CLE credits for this class?
- CLE applications are the responsibility of each attendee; FELTG does not apply for the credits on behalf of attendees. If you are seeking CLE credit, attendees may use the materials provided by FELTG in submission to your state bar. Attendees may also request a certificate of completion which will contain the number of training hours attended.
- Can I share my access link with co-workers?
- No. Registration for this event is per individual, and access links may not be shared. Each link may only be used by one person.
- Can I register a teleworker?
- This event is individual registration, so the cost is the same whether the person is teleworking or in an agency facility.
- How do I receive a group rate discount?
- Group rates are available for agencies registering 10 or more attendees for the full event. Group discounts are available through July 6.
Cancellation and No-show Policy for Registered Participants: Cancellations made after the cancel date on the registration form will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses. Pre-paid training using the “Pay Now” option will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses. No-shows will not be refunded or given credit toward future courses.